The Thielke Arboretum of Glen Rock is a serene oasis in the midst of a busy suburbia. The arboretum is a wetland forest, with nature trails, gardens, a spring fed pond, and a sparkling brook. The arboretum's eleven acres support many species of trees and plants, the majority of which are native to this area. The arboretum also has many trees recommended by Rutgers, the State University, for planting in New Jersey residential landscapes. The arboretum is a natural habitat for birds, butterflies, amphibians and a water fowl as well as other native inhabitants of the animal kingdom.
The antique Gazebo, located at the end of the 2000 Millennium kousa dogwood allee is a popular site for special occasions and celebrations. The Thielke Arboretum has a well rounded education program, offering New Jersey Core Curriculum based nature tours, for grades pre-kindergarten through high school science classes, and environmental groups as well as nature tours for adults and visitors. Tours are led by knowledgeable volunteer docents.
In the early 1900’s, a doctor-chiropractor with an office in Ridgewood purchased land in Glen Rock on Doremus Avenue, for his residence. Frederick W. Morris was lover of trees and planted many herbaceous species on his property. When he died in the early 1940’s, the property was sold.
Several years and owners later, the property was once again for sale. A developer-contractor bid on the property with plans to build multi-housing on the property. Residents living on Doremus Avenue at that time, petitioned the then Mayor and Borough Council to purchase the land for conservation.
In 1954, the Borough of Glen Rock purchased the eleven acres for $44,000. The land was declared a park in 1954. Soon after, several members of the Glen Rock Garden Club walked the land and discovered the many varied species of trees. The club recommended that the park should be declared an arboretum. A dedication ceremony was held in May of 1963, declaring the eleven acres an arboretum.. General Information:
The non-profit Arboretum is maintained by a group of volunteers, the Friends of the Glen Rock Arboretum (FOGRA). Our mission is to conserve, maintain & enhance the Arboretum, and the property has come a long way from its inception in 1964.
Today, the arboretum supports educational efforts as a field laboratory for the Glen Rock Public Schools, hosts events for many local civic organizations, and countless visitors enjoy the grounds. Most of the recent development has been led by the tireless efforts of Carol Thielke, a long time Glen Rock resident. The Arboretum was named in her honor in 2009.
There's always something happening at the Arboretum, so stop by for a stroll on the garden path & around the pond sometime & enjoy hundreds of plants, trees, birds and other natural wonders!
The Arboretum is located on Doremus Avenue right next to the pool parking lot (there is no parking in the Arboretum, but plenty of room in the lot or on Doremus Avenue).
Friends of the Glen Rock Arboretum, Inc. are committed to preserving, developing and insuring the continued existence of the arboretum in Glen Rock, designated wetland and woodlands.
Friends of the Glen Rock Arboretum, Inc. is dedicated to the preservation and conservation of plants as well as providing a natural haven for small animals, amphibians, birds and beneficial insects
Friends of the Glen Rock Arboretum, Inc. strives to provide an arboretum with gardens that is a source of community pride, to be used and enjoyed by all, providing both an educational resource and a positive aesthetic experience.
Friends of the Glen Rock Arboretum, Inc. is a not-for-profit, 501( c)3 volunteer organization, dedicated to the preservation, maintenance and development of the Arboretum.